Wedding gatecrashing has been a long-standing tradition. They’re a series of games devised by the bride and her bridesmaids to put the groom’s resolve to win his wife to the test. The groom and groomsmen are supposed to carry out the bridesmaid’s requests. All in the name of good fun, of course, to prove his love for his bride, no matter how humiliating or ludicrous it was. Before we get into the fun gatecrashing ideas, keep in mind that Angpaos can be given at any time, so always remember to ask for them from the groom and groomsmen. If you don’t think it’s enough, ask for more!
Note: please keep in mind that the playing instructions are based on our interpretation; be flexible and make your own changes based on your preferences!
Image Featured: The Wedding Notebook
1) Suan Tian Ku La 酸甜苦辣
Now, let’s start with a famous game called Suan Tian Ku La. It’s a game that’s been passed down through the years, and it represents the various feelings that couples will experience once they marry. This is an important wedding gatecrash game since completing it indicates that the pair will be able to face any obstacle together.
How to Play:
- Gather just enough ingredients to let the groomsmen suffer a little but also have a good time.
- Clear a space for simple cleanup.
- Keep an eye on their expressions as they surely change!
Bonus Tip: Make the food look delectable so that the guys are fooled by its appearance and undervalue it!
2) Mystery Memory Box
Looking to turn a trip down memory lane but also see some confused faces? This is the game for you! As difficult as this wedding gatecrash game can be for the groom, it serves as a reminder for a couple to focus on the accomplishments they’ve made together as well as those they have yet to achieve. Place some items that belong to both the bride and groom inside a mystery box and invite the groom to put his hand in it and reminisce about a memory they shared as a pair with this item. This may be a keychain from a trip they took abroad or a gift with a funny backstory!
How to Play:
- Make a box that is entirely covered on all four sides, with just enough space at the top for a hand to fit through.
- Place a personal item belonging to the couple inside the box.
- Notice how the groom’s expression changes as he wonders what these objects are!
Bonus Tip: Put something strange in the box between the rounds, like a fish, and watch the groom become puzzled as he tries to figure out what it is.
3) Simon Says Dance!
Everyone is familiar with the game “Simon Says” and dance games for wedding gatecrashing, so why not combine the two? Play a video for the groomsmen to emulate. After that, give them some practice time, but not too much! Then, while they’re dancing, throw in some Simon Says for extra punishments and fun.
How to play:
- Find a video that the guys can imitate within a short period of time
- Toss in a few fascinating “Simon says”
- Watch them try to follow along while having a good time!
Bonus tip: To add some fun, find a video of a silly or seductive dance!
4) Oops! Wrong Cutlery!
Food is commonly consumed during gatecrashing, but here’s the twist: the groomsmen are provided inappropriate utensils with which to pick up the food, and the bride and bridesmaids are invited to watch as the gentlemen struggle to swallow them.
How to play:
- Provide ingredients that are hard to pick up such as tofu or beans
- Give the groomsmen the wrong utensils and only a short time to pick up the food.
- Observe how they work together to overcome obstacles while they struggle!
Bonus tip: Extra struggles equals more enjoyment!
5) The Ultimate Makeover
Ladies, it’s past time for some audience participation. The Ultimate Makeover is the game that finally gives the girls a chance to act. Allow men to reawaken their inner runway model and make them look like the next Top Victoria’s Secret model. Or alternatively, scribble on their face. You make the decision.
How to play:
- Prepare a collection of makeup products that the females no longer use.
- Draw whatever you want on their faces 😉
- Have a good time and remember to take a lot of pictures!
Bonus Tip: Don’t let them see each other’s faces until after you’ve finished applying the makeup and see them laughing at one another after.
6) A Lifetime Promise
Write a vow for the bride and have the groom repeat it aloud. These could be the promises he has to make to the bride. However, it is frequently witty and should be taken with a grain of salt (just for laughs!). Only when the bride and groom have their ROM Solemnisation, the true commitments should begin.
How to play:
- Prepare a personalised paper for him to write on
- Create new ways to make it more difficult for him (Optional)
- Take a bunch of photos and have fun!
Bonus Tip: Make it extra entertaining by having the groom sing it aloud!
7) The Last Key
The groom might get the last key in a variety of fun and entertaining ways. It can, however, be symbolic, such as a bride’s password. Request that the bride creates a “password” that is relevant to their relationship, such as their first date together or her first childhood best friend’s name. Until he gets at least a certain number of passwords right, they can’t obtain the last key!
How to play:
- Prepare a bunch of passwords for the groom
- Observe and see how much the groom remembers
Bonus Tip: Request a larger Angpao from the groom and groomsmen for additional clues!
Finally, after the gatecrash activities have concluded and the groom has successfully reunited with the bride, the bride’s family serves them a bowl of mee sua with hard boiled eggs, as a symbol of longevity. As they prepare to leave the bride’s home, the newlyweds are expected to bow three times: once to the heavens and earth as a gesture of respect to the gods and their ancestors, once to their parents to express their gratitude for raising and caring for them, and once to each other out of respect and love.
After all of the fun and games, it’s time to start planning for the big day as well. Allow your friends to unwind and enjoy themselves, and leave the details to the professionals!
We would be delighted to help you plan your special day!